Dr. Mazlan is the CEO of REDtone IOT and also an IoT Evangelist. He has 30 years of experience and accomplishments in a senior management capacity primarily accountable for R&D, Product Development Innovation & Solutions, Technology Management, Network Operations and Academia. Before joining REDtone, he spent 8 years in MIMOS Berhad as the Senior Director Wireless Communications Cluster where is responsible to lead, strategise and manage the Applied R&D activities in Wireless Communications technology. He also spent 13 years in CELCOM (mobile operator), handling many senior management positions (including R&D, Billing Operations, Technology & Technical Management, Network Administration & Management, Mobile Data, Integrated Business Solutions and Mobility Solutions).Rich experience and knowledge with IT and Telecommunications operation and transformation. Prior to Celcom, he spent 10 years as an Assoc. Professor at Universiti Teknologi Malaysia. Dr. Mazlan is a frequent speaker in many major & established IT and telco conferences locally and globally. He has served as MOSTI's Technofund and Science Fund (ICT Cluster) Technical & Commercial Evaluation Committee, Industry Advisory Panel (IAP) for several local universities. Currently he is an Adjunct Professor with UTHM. Dr. Mazlan graduated from Universiti Teknologi Malaysia with a BEE (1986), University of Essex (UK) with MSc. in Telematics (1986) and Universiti Teknologi Malaysia with a PhD in Telecommunications (1993).
Senior Director - Wireless Communications Cluster
• Lead, strategised and managed the Applied R&D activities in Wireless Communications Cluster. Over the span of 8 years, he managed a very innovative research team to successfully developed 39 Research prototypes (covering projects such as IPv6, WSN, WiMAX, IMS, 6LoWPAN, IOT, HetNet, Cognitive Radio, Mobile Cloud etc), 130 IP Disclosures including 27 Patents, which are considered novel and inventive. • Pioneered the conceptualisation of Mimos patented wireless product called WiWi, which has already being commercialised. • Member of MIMOS Extended Senior Leadership Team which serves as the second highest Senior Management Team that oversees the overall MIMOS strategic direction and vision. • Member of MIMOS Research Council that serves as a forum for research practitioners to discuss research trends and activities and decide upon research directions and actions towards institutionalizing research excellence as well as permeating research value generated to create new markets in line with the company vision of becoming a Premier Applied Research Center. • Member of MIMOS Human Capital Development Council (HCDC) that serves a platform to discuss, strategize and align MIMOS human capital development activities to achieve its vision. • Developed and acquired budget amounting to Multi-Million Ringgit Malaysia for 9th, 10th and 11th Malaysia Plan • Solution selling on Wireless Cluster technologies and R&D prototypes such as WiWi, 6LoWPAN, IMS, Mesh, IOT etc to many C-Level visitors from various organizations and countries. • Supports sales team in developing viable business plan and technology solutions for projects. • Developed MIMOS Wireless Technology Blueprint in defining new and future wireless technology directions for the Company. • Strategised and managed the Internet of Things (IOT) R&D activities and assist in the developing the National IOT Blueprint. • Build and lead collaboration with global companies.
Vice President - Mobility Solutions
• Leads and manages the Mobility Solutions Division as a Business Unit within Celcom. • Developed Mobile Data Business Plan. • Pioneered the idea and conceptualisation of Celcom Developer Circle (CDC) to create an Mobile Applications Eco-System. • Lead the development of Celcom Mobile Solutions Platform based on .NET Framework. • Consolidated and managed Celcom Content Management Platform (CMP). • Leads team on developing viable mobility solutions business cases and presenting Celcom’s solutions, values and benefits to the customer, which involves C-level.
Vice President - Integrated Business Solutions
• Leads and manages the IBS as a Business Unit within Celcom. This is a newly set-up Division to focus on providing Mobility Solutions for the enterprises. Position Celcom Integrated Business Solutions (CIBS) as the core platform for wireless enabling the Enterprises. • There are more than 80 companies subscribed to the services, which was developed in-house and also co-developed with partners such as Mobile Banking, Email & Beyond, Enterprise Messaging Services (EMS), Command Cash, Consumer InSight, Sales Force Automation, Field Service Automation, Machine-to-Machine etc.
Vice President - Network Management & Administration, Group Network
• Leads and manages 3 Departments (Network Management Centre, Network Facilities & Management, Operations Support & Maintenance). • Responsible to ensure that Celcom nationwide network is operating efficiently and cost-effectively. Monitoring and managing network failures. To control and optimise the network transmission capacity. • Successfully managed the massive integration of TMTouch and Celcom Network Management System including Trouble Ticketing System
Vice President - Technology & Technical Management
• Leads and manages 3 Departments (R&D, Technical Management and Technical Operations). This includes the operations of Celcom.Net (Celcom first ISP infrastructure). • Responsible for the research, development, planning, deployment, operations and maintenance of value-added services infrastructure such as SMS (Short Message Service), VMS (Voice Messaging System), UMS (Unified Messaging System), IPT (IP Telephony), WAP (Wireless Access Protocol) and ISP (Internet Service Provider). • Managed the planning, deployment and provisioning of Celcom first MMS system.
Vice President - Billing Operations
• Leads and manages Billing Operations Department. Acted as the Technical Director for Celcom Customer Care and Billing System Project (CCBS). • Responsible for a successful total migration of an old billing system (SEMA) to a new Convergent Billing System (Arbor from Kenan). Total cutover within 2 weeks period. This is a very massive migration that involves billing system, customer service and IT infrastructure.
Vice President - R&D
As the Vice President and Head of Celcom’s R&D responsible for all R&D activities.
Senior Manager - R&D
Leads and manages Celcom’s R&D Department. Responsible for all R&D activities including network, software development and wireless technologies.
Associate Professor - Faculty of Electrical Engineering
Universiti Teknologi Malaysia
Lectures and leads Telematics Research Group - one of the earliest research groups in the Faculty.
Lecturer - Faculty of Electrical Engineering
Universiti Teknologi Malaysia
Lectures and R&D in Data Communications
Assistant Lecturer - Faculty of Electrical Engineering
Universiti Teknologi Malaysia
Lectures and heads the Television Studio/Lab – studio activities and lab experiments (March ’87 – Aug ’89) Head of Digital Signal Processing Research Group responsible for activities such as planning for video networking in the campus (Dec. ‘87 – Aug ’89)
REDtone IOT Sdn Bhd (Subsidiary of REDtone International Berhad)
Our goal is to enable businesses to monitor its most important assets such as buildings, machinery, parking lots, electrical appliances, etc using Internet of Things (IoT). Smart City is one of REDtone’s IoT solutions. It helps make cities safer, more efficient and resilient via smart devices and sensors, software that monitors and improves public services and traffic flow, and protects vital infrastructure (such as bridges, road highways, utility installations) - visit our website http://riot.com.my