You asked for a way to offer and track stock options in the Remote platform for your employees in other countries — and we have delivered. Not only can you offer options through the Remote platform, but you can also include details like number and type of options, vesting periods, and vesting cliffs as you onboard new employees. This makes it easy to track which employees have been offered what stock options through our platform.
How Remote supports your international equity offerings
We go beyond simply enabling you to track your stock option offers. Remote can help you no matter what stage you're in, whether you already have an equity incentive scheme or you’re just getting started. We take the guesswork out of offering equity to your international team members in the following ways:
- Equity plans. Our dedicated tax law experts can review your legal documentation to help you determine whether your scheme is compliant. Don’t have one yet? That’s OK. We can share best practices for setting up schemes that are fair and inclusive.
- Local tax laws. We love talking about taxes so you don’t have to. Our team of tax law experts can help you understand the tax consequences of offering equity incentives in every country where we operate, and then some. We’ve done the heavy lifting so you can focus on attracting and retaining great talent for your business.
- Withholding and reporting. Let’s say one of your team members vests in Norway and another team member exercises in Canada. All you have to do is let us know, and we’ll take care of the tax withholding and reporting (in some countries, like Switzerland, you may still have obligations on your side, but we’ll make sure you know that too). Most EOR services don’t offer this, but we do. And of course, to help you plan ahead, we’ll keep you apprised of any taxable events in your employee's jurisdiction.
Remote makes it easy to offer equity around the world — but you still have a few responsibilities as the creator of your equity plan. Let’s take a look at what that means:
- Administering your equity plan. You and your legal team must set up your equity plan and understand the compliance requirements of doing so. Likewise, your legal team is responsible for implementing any changes to the equity agreements based on our guidance.
- Issuing the equity agreement to the employee. The agreement is between your company and the employee. Remote is not able to issue equity to employees directly, nor can any EOR.
- Withholding and reporting. In some countries, you may have additional withholding and reporting requirements. But don’t worry, we’ll let you know when that’s the case.
Setting up a global equity plan can be incredibly complex, but we’re here to make it as straightforward as possible with Remote. With our guidance, you can use equity incentives to build an amazing team all across the globe.
Ready to talk about offering equity to your global team?
If you’d like to learn more about the tax implications of granting equity to your team members abroad and how Remote can help, please contact us at email@example.com. If you’d like to speak to one of our experts, we welcome you to sign up for a free 30-minute Equity Incentive Planning Consultation.