Denmark 9 min

Work permits and visas in Denmark: an employer’s guide

Written by Sally Flaxman
Sally Flaxman


share to linkedInshare to Twittershare to Facebook
Link copied
to clipboard

If you want to hire employees in Denmark or relocate existing team members,  you’ll have to make sure you follow local immigration laws in the country. This includes making sure employees have the right work permits and visas to live and work in the country legally.

Navigating employment laws in Denmark is not easy. If you fail to comply with local labor and tax rules, your company may have to face financial or legal problems. Partner with an employer of record (EOR) and international hiring becomes simple. An EOR like Remote handles onboarding, payroll, taxes, benefits, and compliance, minimizing the risk and hassle of hiring abroad.

This article will take you through the work permits and visas process in Denmark. We’ll also explain how Remote’s EOR services can help you compliantly hire, manage, and pay employees in Denmark and beyond.

The importance of immigration compliance in Denmark

Employers who want to hire in Denmark must have a strong understanding of local employment laws and immigration requirements. If employees don’t have the necessary work permits and visas, it can lead to serious consequences — from fines and legal risks for the employer to jail time or deportation for the employee.

Working on a tourist visa is illegal in many countries, and governments around the world are cracking down as remote work becomes increasingly popular. It can be challenging for businesses to understand and follow requirements while hiring abroad. That’s why businesses choose to rely on a trusted global HR platform like Remote. Our team of employment experts has a solid grasp of local laws and can hire global talent successfully, and at a fraction of a cost.

To learn more about EORs and their services, you can read Remote's guide on finding the right EOR.

Which workers need a work authorization check in Denmark?

If the individual is from one of the Nordic nations (which include Finland, Iceland, Norway, and Sweden), they can begin to work in Norway immediately. 

Individuals from an EU or EEA (European Economic Area) member state or Switzerland may start working immediately in Denmark but will eventually need to regularize their position with a registration certificate provided by the Danish Agency for International Recruitment and Integration (SIRI).

Individuals who are not natives of any Nordic nation nor members of the EU/EEA will need a valid permit that could be subject to restrictions. For example, their permit may be limited to the employer for which the permit was granted, meaning if the individual switches jobs, they would need to obtain a new authorization.

Those who are granted a permit to live in Denmark are given a residence card, which mentions  if the holder can work and whether there are any restrictions on their employment.


  • Citizens of Nordic nations are free to work

  • Foreign nationals with a Danish residence card specifying their right to work are free to work

  • Nationals outside of Nordic countries but within the EU, EEA, or Switzerland can start working but would need to formalize their position

  • Non-citizens who are not covered by the above circumstances would require a valid permit with specific requirements and guidelines

At Remote, we strive to make Danish work permit procedures an effortless and speedy process. All paperwork can be completed digitally on our website and securely shared with HR agents if required. Our team can vet a candidate's eligibility criteria and process work authorization paperwork  as soon as official regulations are met.

Learn more about international employee relocation in our informative webinar.

Get your Remote Relocation Guide

Learn how to simplify your planned relocation with this walkthrough guide. We outline the key steps for you and your employer to enable a compliant, efficient, and hassle-free move.

Relocation Guide download

A non-citizen of Denmark who does not come from Nordic countries, the EU/EEA member states, and Switzerland cannot start working in the country without a valid permit. The only exception is if a foreign national holds a valid residence card with a right to work.

How is the Schengen visa applicable?

The Schengen visa allows members of the Schengen member states to travel and stay in Denmark for up to 90 days in an 180-day period. You may be able to carry out certain business-related activities without needing a Danish visa or work permit. However, the Schengen visa is primarily issued for sightseeing purposes and should not be considered as a valid work permit to work in Schengen member states,

How is the European Union Blue Card applicable?

The EU Blue Card is a work permit issued to non-EU citizens that allows them to live and work in certain countries in Europe. However, it’s not applicable to Denmark and individuals cannot use it as a work permit in Denmark. 

Applicants must obtain the applicable Danish long-term visa at their place of residence before entering Denmark.

What are the eligibility requirements for a work visa in Denmark?

EU nationals must have certain documents to apply for a Denmark work visa, such as:

  • A valid passport or ID

  • One accurate passport-sized photograph

  • An application form that is filled out

  • Records showing the reasons why they wish to live there due to their job 

There are different requirements for foreign residents, which is explained in a later section below. 

Anyone with criminal convictions or unpaid back taxes would likely be disqualified from obtaining a visa. Furthermore, foreigners who are trying to work past the maximum period of residence enabled by their previous visas may also be turned away. 

Other reasons why someone might not qualify include failing to prove that employment is necessary and/or available in Denmark. If the individual poses a security risk by any government agency inside or outside of Denmark itself, they may daily to qualify for a visa.

What are the long-stay visa types in Denmark?

To live, study, or work in Denmark for more than 90 days requires a Danish Type D visa, otherwise known as a long-stay visa. This visa can be secured to gain employment, take an educational course, join a family member with resident status, or invest in the country (build a startup, etc.). Some relevant long-stay visa types ‌are:

  • A permit for "work". If you have been offered a job in Denmark and your employer has issues you an offer letter, you can apply for a work visa.

  • A "Working Holiday" visa. This permit allows travelers from certain countries (Australia, Canada, Chile, Japan, New Zealand, and South Korea) up to 12 months of employment in the country. If you’re looking to visit Denmark for a holiday and make some money during your stay, then you may apply for a working holiday visa. 

  • An invitation under the  “Family Visa” program — If you are employed in Denmark and want to join them, then a Denmark family visa is needed. Applying for a residence permit  may grant you further extended stay.

How do you get a work visa for Denmark?

For a Danish work visa, start by choosing an appropriate scheme then order and pay for it online through Danish Agency for International Recruitment and Integration (SIRI). You can either do this yourself or have someone apply on your behalf. Here is what you need to do:

  1. Generate a case order ID.

  2. Pay ‌any fees due.

  3. Gather all required documents together as per the checklist provided.

  4. Hand in your application form with the relevant accompanying documentation attached.

  5. Take biometrics if requested.

For your work visa application in Denmark, you will need to provide the following documents:

  • A valid passport containing at least two blank pages

  • An up-to-date health insurance policy for the duration of your stay

  • Photos that follow Schengen standards for size and format

  • Evidence that you have paid the application fee

  • Power of attorney (if someone else submits your request)

  • An official job offer/contract dated within 30 days of the application submission date

  • Educational credentials or diplomas demonstrating suitability for the position if needed

  • Danish authorization for performing the job (where required)

At Remote, we aim to help employers expedite the process of relocating internationally. We provide full-service support from obtaining visas and sponsorships all the way through guidance on adapting to a new living situation. Our assistance covers local immigration advice as well as adjusting insurance coverage if necessary with our Relocation services

What is the process for employee work visa sponsorship in Denmark?

An employer can use the fast-track scheme to apply for a Danish residence and work permit on the employee’s behalf. This system has been designed specifically to make it faster and more efficient to bring foreign workers into the country. It even allows workers to alternate between living abroad and working in Denmark. 

To qualify, employment must meet one of four tracks:

  • Pay limit track

  • Short-term track

  • Researcher track

  • Educational track.

The most common is the pay limit track — it applies to those offered a job with an annual salary of over DKK 448,000. 

At Remote, we strive to make the recruitment process for international employees easy and smooth. Our team of relocation professionals are on hand to support visa applications, verify qualifications, and generate the necessary documents.

What are the visa requirements for digital nomads in Denmark?

Denmark does not offer a digital nomad visa at the moment.

How Remote makes compliance in Denmark so much easier

International relocation can be challenging ing for employers and employees alike. Immigration laws in Denmark are complex, and it can be hard to navigate labor rules and manage paperwork. 

Remember that you'll have to open your own entity in Denmark to hire or relocate employees to the country. Working with an EOR like Remote minimizes the cost, risk, and hassle of global employment. Remote can handle ‌the various processes involved in global hiring, from benefits, payroll, and international taxes to permanent establishment considerations.

If you’re stressed about acquiring the correct permits and visas for employees in Denmark, Remote has got you covered. Our experienced team can guide you through the relocation process and ensure you remain compliant with all local regulations.

To learn more about how you can make your employee relocation process efficient, download Remote’s Relocation Guide. You can also contact our Mobility gurus for legal guidance and advice on expanding your team in Denmark and beyond.

Hire, pay, and manage relocation for your global team

Create an account with G2’s top-ranked multi-country payroll software and start onboarding your first employees in minutes.

Get started now
Remote is the G2 top-ranked multi-country payroll software

Subscribe to receive the latest
Remote blog posts and updates in your inbox.